Tuesday, October 12, 2010

NEW MUSIC: WILLOW SMITH - WHIP MY HAIR


Yes, seriously.  She's only nine years-old, but the Cameras have been all over her of late.  Willow Smith, daughter of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, only recently signed a deal with Jay-Z's RocNation (distributed via Sony Music/Columbia Records) and is now ready to unleash her debut single Whip My Hair.  I'll have you know that Smith actually co-wrote this track with new producer Jukebox.  Upon first listen, the track appears one part Beyoncé's Diva and all sorts of Rihanna, not surprising considering that both these ladies have received much musical guidance from the greatness that is Jay-Z.

Whip My Hair is perhaps catchy enough for Kids, but also just edgy enough for Urban crowd and has the honour of already reaching number 27 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart.  Do I think it'll be huge?  Not likely as she needs to take a cue from her idol Rihanna and work with a single that has a more singable/melodic hook - that much needed ingredient to that illusive Pop Gold.  Do I think though that this is mighty impressive for a nine year-old girl?  You bet.

Listen to Willow Smith's Whip My Hair (courtesy of Sony Music) below:


Our friends at Sony Music also have sent us this link to a Teaser Trailer for Whip My Hair. Click here to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment