Wednesday, November 25, 2009

SUSAN BOYLE > LADY GAGA/ADAM LAMBERT/RIHANNA/SHAKIRA

Astonishing. Early album sales projections for the current week have surfaced at Hits Daily Double and Susan Boyle will be the clear winner by a landslide. It is estimated that her Sony Music debut I Dreamed a Dream will sell in-excess of 600,000 copies, making it one of the biggest selling albums of 2009, let alone being the biggest selling debut album of the year. This woman does not cease to amaze me and if you haven't checked out her amazing work on the disc, please do.

Lady Gaga also is no slouch in terms of sales with the re-release of her debut album The Fame, titled The Fame Monster expected to push approximately 350,000 copies (200,000 in its Deluxe Edition format and 150,000 in its single disc EP format). This is my favourite album of 2009 and her commercial success is an accomplishment well-deserved; she is the Lady of Pop. I am unsure though if the two album formats will be tracked separately on the Billboard Hot 200 Album Chart seeing that they are being released under the same title. My guess is that the totals can be combined.
Adam Lambert seems to be getting publicity much ado about nothing for his male-male kiss/simulated oral sex stunt at Sunday night's American Music Awards. He is expected to post sales of 200,000+ for his debut album from RCA Records For Your Entertainment, deeming him a commercial success for the Idol franchise. The series has produced more misses than hits in recent seasons.


Lambert will edge out Rihanna's Rated R album only slightly, as she is expected to sell approximately 200,000 copies - by no means a disgrace. You might notice from some of my recent postings that I am not a fan of Rihanna's latest work. My opinion is that this project was rushed and that more time should have been allowed instead of rushing it so soon after her Chris Brown controversy. She is capable and deserving of so much more, so please save your daggers and hate mail, Rihannatics!
Although I had high hopes for it, Shakira's She Wolf will underperform with approximately 90,000 in sales; good enough to land it in fifth spot. The Epic Records set is fantastic and in all honesty should have been released a month ago when buzz had peaked already. Just a sneak peak, because I know many of us are watching this superweek with anticipation. Of course numbers are not final yet and anything can happen still... Andreas Bocelli's Christmas album debuted at number two this week and he is scheduled to appear on Oprah next week and that will definitely impact the overall picture. Also, there is no guessing how strong John Mayer's Battle Studies album which topped the chart this week, will do in its second week.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just me, but I do not get Adam Lambert/Glamberache. He just looks like he is trying to hard and he always seems to haev the face of a douche! A gay one mind you...I guess a bitchy douche!

    I saw his performance and thought it was crap! I don't care about who he decides to make out with, but really....this was his first big performance post idol and I think that he is WAY TOO OVERLY CONFIDENT borderline CONCEEDED to have his Madonna 'Like a virgin or Britany kiss' moment!

    Madonna created a fuss in 1985 when she rolled around onstage in a wedding dress during the MTV awards (I believe) but she had already officially released 2 albums. I think she deserved to have her moment. Lady Gaga is now in the the position Madonna was in around 1985...she can have her moment as she has earned it. Glamberache has only just released 2 singles....he is a self entitled glamour douche!

    Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark for being honest. I must agree that all of this "publicity" seems v. calculated. In all honesty, I don't foresee there being any hits off Adam's album. It lacks any real focus and is allover the place.

    ReplyDelete