Wednesday, November 25, 2009

PRODUCT WATCH: BLACKBERRY BOLD 9700


Those of you who follow MR.WILL-W.: POP MAVEN regularly might have noticed a new section called Product Watch, in which I recommend new products that have hit the market. This is not to say that I am veering the focus from pop culture, because that is the heart and soul of this blog. More so, I am diversifying. I mean, who doesn't love to shop? I know I do.
I just acquired the amazing BlackBerry Bold 9700 last night and I must say that this is hands down, the best phone I have ever owned. I know that many of my readers are avid iPhone users judging by my visitor reports and power to you if this is your preference. I simply am a bit clumsy and can barely navigate my iPod Touch when doing cardio at the gym. I'm constantly accidentally selecting songs when I am moving about with the iPod Touch in my pocket. I also do not need applications and games and already know all the Starbucks in my area and the people I see on those iPhone dating site applications are the same ones I see everywhere else. Quite simple, I use my phone to text, e-mail, browse my favourite websites and talk, although I do very little of the latter. I am an avid Texter.


Previously I used the BlackBerry Curve 8330 and loved it very dearly but I found that occasionally when using its web browser, certain websites would not load properly due to heavy graphics interfaces. Often, the browser would crash as a result of this. In addition to this, some websites containing buttons (i.e. SUBMIT/CANCEL) were not recognized as links by its browser. The Curve was great in terms of voice reception and ease in texting an e-mailing with its big QWERTY keys. Overall it had its quirks, but I could overlook them.
The BlackBerry Bold 9700 however, is a different story. Its browser is amazing and the graphics on the phone are crystal clear. The speed at which it operates is alarming, at up to 3 Mbps. Its 3.2 megapixel camera (including video) with a flash gives it an advantage over the iPhone in my opinion. My phone came with a 2 gigabyte memory card too, which is more the sufficient for storing media. It is a phone I can take pretty much anywhere in the world with its global access, should I plan to travel. Did I mention its sleek, compact design and gorgeous leather-like backing? The Bold 9700 also comes with an attractive and sturdy leather clip-on case to protect it from scratching.
I will always prefer the QWERTY keyboard versus a Touch Screen keyboard as this simply is what I am most familiar with. This phone's only fault is that its keys could be just a bit bigger, like the ones on the Blackberry Curve. Perhaps I will get used to this with time. Another thing that makes it a bit cumbersome is locating my Call History as I have to navigate to the Switch Application option just to see who called me earlier in the day. A shortcut would make this phone just perfect. Nonetheless, if you're shopping for a new phone for the holidays, this is one's a definite winner. Sorry iPhone, you're great but the Blackberry Bold 9700 is where it's at for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment