Wednesday, September 16, 2009

TIFF DAY 7

I think I'm just about ready to crash at this point. With three more days of TIFF remaining, that light at the end of the tunnel is nearing. I'm very certain that by this time Sunday I'll be missing the excitement.

Earlier in the day I caught what will be the final Press Conference snaps of the festival from me. I must say I was most disappointed by Natalie Portman who completely ignored fans. After digging around on the net a little, I am able to understand better why it is she does not interact more. Apparently earlier in her career she received some disturbing fan mail, so since then she has minimized interaction on the advice of her management. Regardless, a simple wave and a smile would've sufficed I think. She didn't even give that!

Portman is in town promoting Don Roos' (Marley & Me) new film Love and Other Impossible Pursuits. The film also stars Lisa Kudrow who was a little nicer. Kudrow spent the longest time doing additional press after the conference had ended. This of course is a good sign as many critics are raving about her performance in this film. I'm excited to attend a screening of it on Friday morning.



Of all the stars I was able to see today I must say that our very own Michael Cera (Juno) is a class act. He came to the Press Conference for his new film Youth in Revolt in a simple button-down and knapsack, generously taking his time to do autographs afterward. If you look in the middle photo below, you will see Cera's father who is an active part of his career. My collection of Juno cast signatures is nearing completion as you can see:





Director Stephen Poliakoff's film Glorious 39 also had a conference today and its cast is rich in pedigree. Starring in the film are Bill Nighy (Love Actually), Romola Garai (Atonement) and a now out-of-retirement Julie Christie (Away From Her). All three of them were extremely wonderful, especially acting legend Christie who I am honoured to have chatted with briefly. She is quite the fashionista and looked '60s chic. Hot! In fact, a good indication of Christie's coolness is that she refused to go back to her hotel in her assigned S.U.V. Instead, she opted to walk out of the conference onto the street and grabbed some lunch on her own. The film screened Monday night at Elgin Theatre, although reviews haven't been amazing.



I'm taking a break tonight to spend some quality time with my dog Billy. Perhaps I'll catch tonight's episode of Glee provided I don't fall asleep before then.... Tomorrow morning I'll be attending screenings of The Private Lives of Pippa Lee which stars Gossip Girl's Blake Lively, Robin Wright Penn and Keanu Reeves. In the evening I'll be at Elgin Theatre attending the gala for London River which comes highly touted. Will let you know my thoughts soon!

xW

4 comments:

  1. Poliakoff's film Shooting The Past is a personal favorite of mine. I have watched it many times and it always moves me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I do love Natalie Portman but I wasn't responsible for those fan letters. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, e-mails and messages on NataliePortman.com technically aren't letters I suppose.... :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Cera is absolutely adorable in those photos!

    ReplyDelete