Monday, February 6, 2012

"KHAO SOI" AT KHAO SAN ROAD: THE ULTIMATE IN DECADENCE


Khao Soi from Khao San Road
As some of you might recall, last week I was singing the praises of Khao San Road - quite possibly the best Thai food in Toronto. Itching for more, I went back again and was not disappointed. Quickly picking-up on my Review online, Staff at the Restaurant was amazingly attentive, helping me make the right choices. I learned also that many of the Chefs from top establishments in the area, including the Ritz-Carlton's TOCA and Enoteca Sociale's Grant Van Gameren, are known to be frequent Diners.

Ultimately I wound-up trying Khao Soi, which is the most delightful Egg Noodle dish, ensconced in a rich, Coconut-based Curry - just spicy enough at a "Medium".  Above this, a generous portion of four-hour-braised Beef Brisket were dispersed throughout the bowl, topped with additional crunchy Fried Noodles.  Simply decadent; maybe a once-a-month Treat.

I also tried the Fried Shrimp Chips with a spicy Tamarind Sauce, which might not be for everyone as many have an aversion to Shrimp Paste.  Lucky for me, I love it and could not get enough.  Dare I say, these are superior to the ones of the Chinese variety I've grown-up on?

All this for $20.  Cannot be beat.  Khao San Road, I'll be back.

Fried Shrimp Chips & Spicy Taramind Sauce

(Photo credit: Mr. Will-W.)