Friday, April 23, 2010

THE PERILS OF PLASTIC - RENÉE ZELLWEGER


Okay, generally I try to be kind, but today I was visiting JustJared and stumbled upon these photos of Renée Zellweger at the Tribeca Film Festival premiere of her latest film My Own Love Song, in which she plays a wheelchair bound singer. My question is, "What in the world happened to her face?". 

I know it's not nice to accuse people wrongly of getting Plastic Surgery/Botox, but if you look at Zellweger in these side-by-side photos of her at her finest (2001 Oscars) and then today, it's clear to the eye that there are "differences".  If her decline is in fact a result of cosmetic enhancement, I really hope that you will take a good look at this and just see why it is these procedures are better in theory than practice.  There is not enough self-love in this world and if it ain't broken, don't fix it.


Please don't get me wrong - I loved Zellweger in both installments of Bridget Jones's Diary, Chicago, Cold Mountain, Miss Potter and Cinderella Man and for a while she was definitively my favourite actress, but I'm not quite sure what's come of her career of late, especially with a few of her recent projects going straight to video like Case 39 (starring alongside boyfriend Bradley Cooper) and My One and Only.  Her last big release to make it on the big screen was New in Town and that performed below commercial and critical expectations too. 

A few years ago, she was at TIFF promoting Appaloosa and I was literally this_close to Zellweger and her handler, with maybe one other fan about.  And literally before I could open my mouth to extend a "Hello", her handler said, "Sorry, we're not doing any of this today!" and then proceeded on their way.  My warm perception of Zellweger was shot completely.  Orson Welles once said, "At the age of 50, a man gets the face he truly deserves".  I would say the same applies to women also. 

Don't believe me?  Have a look:

(Photo credit: Zimbio/Just Jared/Mr.Will-W.)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm I dunno, Will. The angle from which the second photo was taken could be misleading. At first glance, the only real difference I can see is that maybe she's had botox lip injections? I'd need to see a better "new" photo to be sure. I agree with you 100% though that most people look better with what they were born with, and that we should just learn to love our bodies the way they are! I know I do!

    ReplyDelete