Thursday, January 21, 2010

NEW MUSIC: SADÉ - SOLDIER OF LOVE (IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES W. COATES)


Although it's taken a while to grow on me, I am really taking a liking to Sadé's Soldier of Love.  The single has already peaked at number 58 on the Billboard Hot 100.  The track updates the timeless vocalist's signature smooth jazz with a bit of urban flare.  The gallop and charge of the guitars, the mournful horns and oh, those distinctive vocals - they've got me itching to see just what other tricks she has up her sleeves on that sixth studio album (of the same title), to be released on February 8, 2010.

Although I can't quite pin-point it, what is it about Sadé's comeback that seems so much more effortless than that of Whitney Houston's fizzled return?  This just seems so much more right; a seamless stylistic makeover that remains faithful to Sadé's artistic identity.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Houston's last album I Look To You.  Yes I did.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that some of the younger music bloggers are referring to Sadé as a group, which technically is true.  This perhaps is a tell-tale sign of who is using Wikipedia as their go-to for information, versus actual pop culture as a true reference point.  For those of us who grew up in the '80s, we refer to Sadé more as a solo act, much like the way we see Sting, no?

Listen to Soldier of Love in full below (courtesy of Sony Music):
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I dedicate this posting to my dear friend James W. Coates, who was a victim of the tragic earthquake in Haiti. James, you were a true Soldier of Love in selflessly giving yourself to the most noble cause of all, peace. My heart goes out to your family and friends who like myself, are mourning the loss of a talented and loving human being. I will never forget your last words to me. Your support and encouragement will never be forgotten. I am proud to have called you my friend.

Please keep James' family and friends in your thoughts and prayers right now. It is important to give, no matter how great or small in aid of Haiti, as they need our support most right now.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, Will. The tragedy in Haiti seems to be growing in magnitude each day. Very, very sad.

    As for Sade, I'm with you. Sade is a person, not so much a group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you JB. I appreciate your kind words.

    Also, we need to show the young how it's done... :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Will, the whole situation in Haiti breaks my heart, and to hear it has affected you on a very personal matter makes all the more difficult to bear. My thoughts are with his family. What a great and haunting song to remember him by.

    ReplyDelete