Sunday, December 6, 2009

NEW MUSIC: FERGIE - BE ITALIAN




Long before she found success as a recording artist, Fergie appeared on one of my favourite Saturday morning programs Kids Incorporated. The show featured essentially, a cast of kids singing age-inappropriate pop songs with tied-in story lines. Thus, acting has always been in Fergie's skill set. Nonetheless, I was very surprised to learn that Fergie was cast by one of my favourite directors Rob Marshall (CHICAGO, Memoirs of a Geisha) in his latest project NINE, out on December 18, 2009.

Fergie plays the role of Saraghina, prostitute lover of Guido Contini (Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis). In the film, she is given the plum assignment of singing signature number Be Italian and I must stay I am thoroughly impressed by her versatility. She sounds incredible here and I am sucker for a woman who is willing to undergo a transformation in the name of her art. Allegedly, she put on at least 30 lbs. for this role. I have said it many times before, but I am thrilled to see this film.

NINE - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack will be in stores December 22, 2009. For now, you can enjoy Fergie's stunning performance below (courtesy of Geffen Records/Universal Music):



Fergie (seen to the left in this photo I got in a 2007 Toronto visit) is known to many of us for her string of Top 40 hits with Grammy-winning group The Black Eyed Peas. She is also a successful solo artist in her own right having sold six million copies of her 2006 album The Dutchess worldwide. Many of us however do not know Fergie (née Stacy Ann Ferguson) as an actress.

2 comments:

  1. Finally someone who shares my fergie appreciation! She is so underrated. I love her voice and her solo album was amazing... in its own trashy way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. high-5! i effin' love Fergie!! g-l-a-m. o-r-o-u-s. hot like fire!!

    ReplyDelete