Monday, November 23, 2009

FAREWELL, HAYDAIN NEALE

At just 39 years-old, one of Canada's most successful soul/R&B artists Haydain Neale of BMG Records Canada act Jacksoul, passed away yesterday. He had undergone a very private seven month-long battle with Lung Cancer. Jacksoul are responsible for hits in Canada like Someday and Can't Stop, which still get a considerable amount of airplay on Adult Contemporary/Hot Adult Contemporary radio.

I had the pleasure of meeting Neale on a couple occasions and remember him as being a very down-to-earth guy. This picture to the left is one of I took of him and a friend at a party I attended late 2006. He also recorded occasionally at my producer Robin's studio here in Toronto and I remember Robin calling me one day to tell me that he played Neale one of my earlier tracks titled I Won't Understand for him. Neale liked the track a lot and told Robin to pass on the word to me to "keep up the good work". Although very indirect, it is a memory that sticks in my head to this day. It encouraged me to stick at it with my own music.

This is all so sudden. I send my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Neale. Jacksoul are to release their new album SOULmate December 1, 2009 in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment