Monday, November 23, 2009

THE AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS - A 1.5 MINUTE RECAP


It's been an extremely busy day on the blog from naked Babydaddys to a review about a football film. You cannot criticize me for not trying to branch-out! I'm not going to go into too much detail, but as per multiple requests over Facebook Chat and text messages to my Blackberry, I am going to re-cap for you my highlights of tonight's American Music Awards. No nonsense, just straight to-the-point.
  • Janet Jackson opening the show with a mimed medley of hits that included her latest track Make Me (not technically a hit) from her just-released Number Ones compilation. It appears that Jackson is back to the original weight she was at when she released her ground-breaking Control album and I love it. She looks healthy and content.
  • Need I mention how amazing Lady Gaga is? Her medley of new hit single Bad Romance and Freddie Mercury-esque ballad Speechless was the highlight of the show. I do think though that her costume would have looked better with claws. I admit I was a little petrified seeing her play on a flame-ignited piano, as it looked as though her wig would get singed at any moment. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal was with the breaking of the empty (fake sugar-glass) Johnny Walker bottles. And yes, I feel truly that she was robbed of the Breakthrough Artist award which went to country band Gloriana. I'm so ready for her Toronto show this Saturday!
  • It was amazing seeing Whitney Houston's celebrated performance of I Didn't Know My Own Strength from her I Look To You album. Although her vocals were all over the place, certainly she is getting there slowly but surely....
  • Jennifer Lopez was stunning in her mimed performance of new single Louboutins. Yes, she did fall on stage after climbing on-top of her male dancers (as seen in the photo below), but being the consummate professional she is, she made it look deliberate and carried on. It is ironic though that she was wearing a pair of Louboutins and fell in them; product placement gone wrong.
  • Although I am not a fan of the track, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys' performance of Billboard Hot 100-topping Empire State of Mind was quite enjoyable. The New York, New York intro was a nice touch.
  • Shakira is always a pleasure to watch and although I have my doubts about her choice for the second single off She Wolf, her performance of Give It Up To Me was stellar... as usual.
  • Rihanna's new album Rated R sucks. She can call it "art" all she wants, but it still sucks. And seeing her perform a track live did not make it suck less.
  • Is it just me or does Mary J. Blige's new track I Am sound like a Mariah Carey B-side?
  • I love Kelly Clarkson but she really needs to step-up her game. Her performance of single Already Gone was far from engaging.
  • Adam Lambert's performance of single For Your Entertainment was a disaster vocally. If you're going to scream at least do it in pitch. Pitch, please. And above this, he made-out with one of his male band members and pretended to give head to a dancer on-stage and nobody even noticed ....or cared!
  • Congratulations to teen country sensation Taylor Swift on her five AMA wins which she accepted via simulcast in London, including the coveted Artist of the Year award. What's left to conquer after this?

The above photos by photographer Matt Sayles were found via Yahoo!. For those of you who missed the broadcast, your thoughtful friends at The Audio Perv, who clearly have too much time on their hands, have uploaded tonight's performances on YouTube here.

8 comments:

  1. At least those "The Audio Perv" pirates chose an appropriate name to go along with their actions. ;-P

    I thought Lady GaGa won the night overall, although Whitney did fine and showed restraint which is new for her (she's discovering her mid-range which I think is appropriate for someone her age, regardless of what her recent substance intake did to her vocal cords), and Mary J looked and sounded classy.

    And Janet was Janet. And I love her and always will.

    Taylor Swift is what, 17? And already a humble, class act. I don't even know her music. Thanking MJ, Janet and the Jackson family was sweet. It's obvious she has good parents and was raised well.

    Throughout the show I was wondering though: where were the legends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael,

    Thanks so much for all the generous feedback. I had no idea you were a Janet fan :')

    Well, I think the show was pretty much centered around honouring Michael Jackson, so the inclusion of any other legends would've taken away from that.

    Lady Gaga is heads and shoulders above the rest. I was mesmerized. Petrified also. But mostly mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not alone in Shakira's choice of 2nd single. I think the Euro 2nd single "Did It Again" is a better choice, or even "Why Wait".

    Gaga slayed. As usual. She was totally ripped off by not winning a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite hating on Rihanna! Those are tough songs to sing and she poured her heart out! You're soooo mean :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - watch it! I love Rihanna. I just don't love Rated R or any of the tracks off it. She needs to get back to her old self. This album is going to tank. Just watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't get it over here, or I missed it completely - but killer review and I'm dying to hear the Janet mix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Aaron! Did you click on the link to see the clips at The Audio Pervs? :)

    ReplyDelete