|Still from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2|
It is absolutely no surprise that 2011 tallies show that Franchise Finale Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, is internationally the year's highest-grossing Film. The Warner Bros. Fantasy Drama earned a whopping $1.328 billion worldwide, over $200 million more than its closest competition, Transformers: Dark of the Moon. This past Summer I was lucky enough to be a part of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Canadian Press Tour. Click here to read my Interview with burgeoning Star, Matthew Lewis.
Note that eight out of ten of these Films actually are sequels with Warner Bros., Buena Vista/Disney and Paramount Pictures each accounting for two each. Based on Rotten Tomatoes ratings for the Top Ten, it would appear there is a bit of a divide between Critical and Commercial tastes with these ten averaging 56.3% among Critics, below the "Certified Fresh" threshold.
Without further ado, here are your Top Ten Grossing Films of 2011:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $1.328 billion (96% on Rotten Tomatoes)
2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $1.123 billion (35% on Rotten Tomatoes)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - $1.043 billion (79% on Rotten Tomatoes)
4. Kung Fu Panda 2 - $665.7 million (81% on Rotten Tomatoes)
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - $656.4 million (26% on Rotten Tomatoes)
6. Fast Five - $626.1 million (78% on Rotten Tomatoes)
7. The Hangover Part II - $581.5 million (35% on Rotten Tomatoes)
8. The Smurfs - $562.5 million (24% on Rotten Tomatoes)
9. Cars 2 - $559.9 million (38% on Rotten Tomatoes)
10. Rio - $484.6 million (71% on Rotten Tomatoes)
(Photo credit: Warner Bros.)