Tuesday, December 21, 2010

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE & WINTER SOLSTICE - DECEMBER 21, 2010


Total Lunar Eclipse - 2:30 AM EST
“There’s nothing I can do, a Lunar Eclipse of the Heart.” – Bonnie Tyler ….Okay, those aren’t the exact lyrics, but I’m sure Bonnie would approve of my loose adaptation.

As we all know, last night was the first time Winter Solstice had run in tandem with a Total Lunar Eclipse since 1638. The next time this will occur again is 2094 – in other words, most of us won’t see it unless there are great advances in medical technology prolonging our lives unforeseeably. Fingers crossed.

Total Lunar Eclipse - 4:45 AM EST
Beginning at approximately 2:30 AM EST and ending at approximately 5:00 AM EST, people around the world saw the Moon turn a Red/Amber colour and unfortunately at its finest moment, I fell asleep! I did track the Total Lunar Eclipse’s progress at 2:30, 4:45 and again at 7:10 and I must say it was v. odd seeing a full moon shining over the City while I had my morning Americano. *yawn*


Beginning of Winter Solstice
- 7:10 AM EST
Although I’m by no means an Astronomy Expert, NASA’s Dr. Tony Phillips explains that “You might expect Earth seen in this way to be utterly dark, but it's not. The rim of the planet is on fire. As you scan your eye around Earth's circumference, you're seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world, all of them, all at once. This incredible light beams into the heart of Earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb.” I couldn’t have in any way explained it better myself.

I did have a bit of struggle finding proper search results on Google not related to The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, but I did finally locate some proper Photos on this Torontonian’s website.


(Photo credit: Mr. Will-W.)

No comments:

Post a Comment