Tuesday, December 15, 2009

REVIEW: ALICIA KEYS - THE ELEMENT OF FREEDOM

I have tried with considerable effort to get into Alicia Keys' fourth studio effort The Element of Freedom. Having received multiple reader requests to give it a go, I really hate to say it, but I'm just not loving it. And this is coming from someone who has supported all of her releases, which have sold a combined total of 30 million copies worldwide.

Keys pulls back a bit this time around and in terms of sound, she ventures into more of a rock direction compared to her earlier work. There are several '80s/'90s sounds as much of the arrangements center around the piano and Moog keyboards. Her vocals are a little less polished on this album, although there is more a feeling of organic raw emotion as a result of this. Thematically, the album is about a deeply-affecting break-up. Song after song, we hear about Keys' love obsession and having to overcome heartbreak, yet still holding onto her feelings of love for her past lover. This perhaps makes the album a little stagnant.

I will not deny that there are some gorgeous tracks on The Element of Freedom. Doesn't Mean Anything, Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart, Wait 'Til You See My Smile, That's How Strong My Love Is are all beautifully understated and melodically sufficient, but none of these siongs have that signature Keys fire that felt so warm to the touch previously. Remember A Woman's Worth, How Come You Don't Call Me?, Fallin' or You Don't Know My Name? There was passion in that. The Alicia Keys featured on this album is indeed a maturer woman, but she is a fraction of what she was. I'm not even going to comment on the let-down of a collaboration with Beyoncé, Put it in a Love Song.


There are a few surprises like the one bouncy mid-tempo track This Bed which holds on to the theme of lost love with its repeated hook "This bed/Is too lonely without you", despite sounding distinct from the rest of the album. The "broken down" version of smash hit Empire State of Mind wraps up the album beautifully and I actually prefer this take on it versus the version with Jay-Z being pumped in the clubs and on radio. That soaring chorus of "Now you're in New York/These streets will make you feel brand new/Big lights will inspire you" is spine-tingling. I'll continue giving this album a few more listens, but I'm sorry I wasn't able to give this one a bit more praise, Mavenati. Please forgive. Grade: B-.

If you'd like to read a glowing review for Alicia Keys' The Element of Freedom, you can visit Pop Trash Addicts where Mike just loved it up and then some! The album is now in stores and you can check out Empire State of Mind II in full below (courtesy of Sony/BMG Records):







2 comments:

  1. Mmm. I heard a few cuts and was psyched so I bought it. About to give it a listen through now. I love love love her version of "Empire" (and I adore the original), and it is starting to surpass the original for me. And "Broken Heart" sounds, like you said, some forgotten 80's jam -- and I dig the 80's sound...We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel, I think generally the reviews have been good, but i wanted just a bit more variety on the album. It sorta just starts in a mode and doesn't go anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love her and have great respect for her, but this is nowhere near as amazing as her first two albums.

    ReplyDelete