Tuesday, December 8, 2009

NEW MUSIC: MINI VIVA - I WISH (CAHILL RADIO EDIT)

I'd like to introduce you to the UK's next hottest export Mini Viva, a pop duo consisting of Frankee Connolly and Britt Love. The duo are produced by powerhouse production team Xenomania who have worked with heavy hitters in recent years like Girls Aloud, Kylie Minogue, Pet Shop Boys, Sugababes and Cher. This of course is not news to you, since Mavenati like yourselves are always on the pulse.

Although there is no set release date still for Mini Viva's Geffen Records debut, buzz has been building very steadily for these two young women; not quick enough though to meet an originally planned November 2009 release. First single Left My Heart in Tokyo oozes the early '90s, which is timed perfectly as pop music is making a return to the House Music-inspired sounds of that era, leaving a lasting impression on me.

An album sampler from the duo surfaced yesterday, giving us a clearer picture of what to expect. They are a result of an in-depth study of girl groups, borrowing a bit of TLC's edginess, the sass of Sugababes and the accessibility of Spice Girls or Girls Aloud. Somehow, Mini Viva manage to separate themselves from other girl groups with their lyrical substance, never depending so much on hooks solely as a lot of the time Xenomania's arrangements do the speaking for them. Love's charismatic vocals have an Amy Winehouse-like quality and I would say that somehow the attention inadvertently shifts to her most of the time.

Slickly produced I'm Hooked picks up where they left off with strong second single I Wish (Bananarama, anyone?). What You Feel is a leap forward in maturity and a cut from the same cloth as Pure Shores or Black Coffee by the dearly-missed All Saints. The ballad Emotions of Love, gives their repertoire some emotional depth. Although not as fun as I was anticipating, Mini Viva's material is on the right track and I am expecting big things from them.

Check out this stellar remix of I Wish by ultra-hot UK production team Cahill below (courtesy of Geffen Records/Universal Music):

Thank you Adem.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have an issue with "constructed" pop groups when they have a unique perspective, and right now, Mini Viva are pretty unique. They have been very smart with the music so far, so I have big hopes for the full-length. Now if we can get them to the US...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word to what John said. I've yet to hear their material in pure form -- I usually just stumble on remixes. For that reason, there is a remix of "Tokyo" that is PHENOM and incorporates all kinds of eastern music that I adore. When I heard the original afterward I was a bit disappointing. Haha. But they do seem very promising.

    I wish All Saints would come back as well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, perhaps the biggest question of all is this. Is it MiniViva or is it Mini Viva?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, I love me some killer pop - particularly European pop - but I'm yet to be 100% won over by the girls.

    Their music is great - sounds really great, and I love the imagery, but something just seems to be...missing.

    Maybe I need a bit more time for it to grow on me, or I need to hear more from the album - I'm looking forward to it though - And Loving that remix!

    P.S - I'm running with Mini Viva

    ReplyDelete