Monday, December 14, 2009

AVATAR: YAY OR NAY?

I don't do sci-fi movies. I just don't. It's not my thing and never has been. But James Cameron's (Aliens, The Terminator, Titanic) latest film Avatar appears to be getting an inordinate amount of buzz of late. To be honest, the trailer looked terribly boring so I didn't expect much and I don't think I am alone on that. I was watching TODAY this morning and the host would not stop going on about how amazing the 3-D film was and she also doesn't do sci-fi. Critical consensus website Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 91% rating, easily making it one of the best reviewed movies of 2009. So I must say that I'm curious now.

Are you going to see Avatar when it opens this Friday?

7 comments:

  1. i'm leaning toward "yes" on seeing this opening weekend...but then, i'm a sci-fi fan (though i recognize when something crappy comes along, luke).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to watch this based on the lead actor, not much about the director. LOL. But I think it will be fabulous. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ThisAlien and rcLoy - thanks for the note. Let's compare notes after it's out :')

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i saw Avatar today...the technical aspects of the movie were intriguing, nice, but the story was way too dull to endure for almost three hours. not sure i could recommend it to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the visual 3D aspect of it, but I have to agree with Alien that the storyline is a bit dull, predictable but still okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://mrwillw.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-avatar.html -> review just posted. i agree with both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny, your comment about siding with the "enemy" in the battle between humans and the na'vi: i mentioned that to the husband as we were leaving the cinema ("how did you feel about cheering on the iraquis?"). goes to show that once you experience another man's life, it's harder to demonize him.

    ReplyDelete