Friday, September 11, 2009

TIFF DAY 2 - CONTINUED | THE INFORMANT REVIEW

I just got home from my assignment as CTV/CP24's official TIFF Correspondent and it was a blast. George Lagogianes made me feel at ease and he even texted me afterwards on my Blackberry to tell me that I was amazing to work with. I'll be popping in and out throughout the festival, so remember to stay tuned if you're in the Toronto area. It seems a bunch of you found my blog through my appearance, so a warm welcome goes to all of you!



So apparently Megan Fox and Michael Caine of all people, were seen shopping together at the Roots flagship store in Yorkville around 8:00 PM. Although they might seem like an odd pair, it turns out that Fox was recently cast in the role of Catwoman in the next Batman film, in which Caine also stars. Ahh.

And earlier in the evening I attended a screening of the latest Steven Soderbergh film The Informant! starring Matt Damon. The film wasn't quite what I was expecting as it turned out to be much more a comedy than I was anticipating. Damon immerses himself completely in this role as an obsessive-compulsive liar who is startlingly convincing. He spins a web of lies as an informer to the FBI, leaking information about his company's involvement in a price fixing scandal. As the story continues however, you begin to see his character flaws revealed very gradually. I didn't love it, but really enjoyed Damon's performance as he carried the whole film with appearances in pretty much every scene. Grade: B

On my way into Elgin Theatre, I crossed paths with Damon by chance and he posed graciously for this photograph for me. This photo is so amazing it deserves a post of its own!



After the gala, Damon treated his parents and the crew behind The Informant! to a big dinner at celeb haunt Sassafraz in Yorkville, reserving the whole top floor. It was pretty much chaos outside the restaurant, which is only minutes from my flat. Take a look for yourself:



Anyhow, I've got a slew of screenings to attend tomorrow including the new Pedro Almodovar film Broken Embraces, which stars Penelope Cruz. 9:30 AM is way too early for subtitles! Later in the day, I'll be seeing the Hugh Hefner documentary and yes, Hefner himself will be in attendance. Surreal.

I'm beat. See you tomorrow!

xW

4 comments:

  1. Wow Will...just wanted to let you know that I am truly impressed with your updated info regarding the Tdot festivities...I love the celeb pix and congrats on all of the positive feedback you seem to be receiving. Keep up the great work....hope to see some awesome pix of Hugh tomorrow. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ren!! xo I must say I don't have the energy to do these 7:00 AM wakeup calls on Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    Love George! Although I never met him in person he seems to be the nicest guy!


    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gabriela! He is the nicest guy! Very thoughtful! I'd think that if you saw him on the street and introduced yourself he'd be just as genuine with him as he is on TV. :')

    ReplyDelete